Everything You Need To Know About Arya Samaj Marriages in India
Established by Swami Dayananda Saraswati in 1875, Arya Samaj has a prominent place in Indian society. But there are many questions which revolve around it as not many people are aware of Arya Samaj marriage. Some of the most common questions asked by people are –
- How is Arya Samaj wedding solemnized in Delhi?
- What is the legal validity of this marriage?
- Is the Arya Samaj marriage certificate authentic and legal in other states of India?
- Who are individuals eligible for an Arya Samaj wedding?
- Is the marriage certificate issued by Arya Samaj Mandir in Delhi valid for a passport?
In this article, we will try to understand Arya Samaj marriage and divorce procedure as per it’s custom.
How is Arya Samaj wedding solemnized in Delhi? What is the legal validity of this marriage?
In Arya Samaj Mandir, the marriage ceremony takes place according to the Vedic customs and rituals. Its legality is derived from the Arya Samaj Marriage Validation Act, 1937, along with provisions of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
Arya Samaj does not believe in Idol worship. Therefore it is entirely different from the marriage performed according to the Hindu rituals. Mostly, the ceremony is completed in 1 to 2 hours. Arya Samaj marriage rituals are pretty simple and straightforward. Based on Vedic ideology, all the Sanskrit chants spelled during the wedding ceremony are explained to the couples.
Like Hindu marriages, Arya Samaj weddings are also centered around the fire. Here too, the transition is observed of a wedding couple from Brahmacharya to Grihastha Ashram.
Is the Arya Samaj marriage certificate authentic and legal in other states of India?
If you got married in an Arya Samaj Mandir in Delhi, you could get this marriage registered under section 8 of the Special Marriage Act by the Marriage Registrar of the district or state, where this wedding was held.
An Arya Samaj marriage can also be registered under the Hindu Marriage Act. It is applicable in cases where both groom and bride are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs or if they have converted into any of these religions.
Is the marriage certificate issued by Arya Samaj Mandir valid for a passport?
Yes, after a marriage certificate is issued to the couple by the Marriage Registrar of the state, you can apply for a passport.
Who are eligible for an Arya Samaj marriage?
Individuals who are eligible for an Arya Samaj marriage are as follows –
- The age of the groom is 21, and the bride should be 18.
- Any individual belonging to other religions like Buddhism, Jains, and Sikhs, can choose Arya Samaj wedding.
- Inter-Caste Marriages and Inter-Religious Marriages are also allowed in an Arya Samaj Mandir. But none of the marrying individuals should be Muslims, Christians, Parsis, or Jews.
- If a non-Hindu couple wants to get married according to the Arya Samaj rituals, the Samajis allows them to get converted through a process called Shuddhi. It means purification of the soul for conversion, and after that can perform Arya Samaj Marriage. These individuals can be Muslims, Christians, Parsis, or Jews.